12 responses

1. Maria
    February 11, 2010

These look AMAZING! How do I get to be a Valentine in your family???

2. Beth
    February 11, 2010

I keep leaving various comments all over the interwebs about how good these cookies look! I have to make them and eat them this weekend! So, 1) where can one purchase the nibs around here 2) what kind of white chocolate do you recommend 3) and where can I find good instant espresso powder? (PS – please tell that daughter of yours that her valentines are beautiful)

3. Kristin
    February 11, 2010

Maria … you are our valentine!

Beth … I have seen Scharffen Berger nibs at Wegmans in the candy aisle (near the tonic and soda). I think they come in a little bag. I have also seen them at Starbucks (but that was around the holidays so I’m not sure they have them year round.)

I have Callebaut White Chocolate (got it at Giant — it was in big blocks near the deli), but I think any will do. Just get the best you can find — which at Wegman’s I think is Lindt. Instant Espresso powder is available at Wegman’s too. The brand I have is Ferrara and I think it is in the Italian food aisle.

And if you want to use some cocoa butter, I have extra — let me know!

4. amy
    February 12, 2010

wish i had some of that cookies in front of me right now. i am so jealous of you having a brother in law who works at a choc company!!

5. Alisa-Foodista
    March 31, 2010

That looks so good! I wish I also had a dozen of that cookies right now. Great recipe!

6. April
    April 2, 2010

Beth and others…Raw cacao nibs are available at Nature’s Pantry and they are DIVINE!!!

7. Deandra
    June 13, 2010

Mine looked nothing like this, just a big chocolate cookie basically.
    What did I do wrong?

• Kristin
      June 14, 2010

Did they spread too much? Was it the tallness that they didn’t have or something else? Because they do look like chocolate cookies … ; )

Hmmm… did you use cocoa butter? Was it warm in your kitchen? The dough becomes very stiff (cocoa butter is very hard at room temp) and the cookies stayed very tall b/c of that.

8. Jordan
    October 8, 2010

I know a catering company that puts cocoa butter on their chicken, to keep it moist. Apparently, it’s amazing. Never tried it!

9. Jason
    November 11, 2013

I know this thread is old, but could you tell me if the cocoa butter made a difference in the texture of the cookies. I’m attempting to add more density to a cookie recipe and was thinking of adding cocoa butter to that end.

• Kristin
      December 27, 2013

I think that might work. The resulting cookie was very moist and dense. More like a brownie.